Sunday, December 20, 2009

Where has December gone?


I can't believe Christmas is in 5 days. The kids can, though- they are getting to that uber-excited, ultra-hyper stage that mothers everywhere dread. At least they have school for two more days!

This year, instead of a regular advent calendar, I decided to do an advent activity calendar. Every day of the month, the kids got to open a piece of paper that told them what we would do that day- the activities ranged from singing everyone's favorite Christmas carol to reading a story while we drink hot chocolate, to going to see the lights at Thanksgiving Point. (We haven't actually done that last one yet, although we were supposed to yesterday- we got there and saw the 3 mile long line of cars snaking out of the park. We'll go back when it's not a Saturday night. Maybe after Christmas?)

Here are a few pictures of things we've done this month- some were advent activities, and some not, but everything has been fun, and has (alas) contributed to the general air of excitement around here.

A real, live reindeer- at Thanksgiving Point when we tried to go to their 1st annual ice sculpture contest. Cancelled. I'm guessing it is not only the 1st annual, but also the last. TP hasn't been working out so well for us this season....


At the Festival of Trees. The day started with a visit to the breakfast buffet at Golden Corral- big hit with everybody, especially the boys. I've decided not to pay attention to how much they eat. It's just better if I don't know.
The Festival was amazing, but we were glad we went early- it got EXTREMELY busy later- right about the time we decided it was time to leave. I'm really not into crowded places.

This was my favorite tree-


but Rebekah preferred the paper crane tree.
Everything was gorgeous. What an amazing place!


Outside the festival- it was easier to get a picture of everyone out here, where we didn't have to fight the crowds!


Here's Emma at her 1st grade Christmas sing. She was super excited, and the kids did a wonderful job singing. 1st grade is such a fun group!



That same night, we also stopped at the jr. high for Rebekah's band concert. They were so good! I love that she has a great band program here!


That's her to the right of the middle stand.

We've had a good month so far, and it should actually calm down a little this week- it seems like all the normal things (lessons, church activities, homework) are canceled, and we should be able to just concentrate on Christmas.


No comments: