Sunday, December 20, 2009

Old ladies can be sneaky, too.

I volunteer to deliver food for Meals on Wheels once a week. Basically, I pick up hot food from a central point and deliver it to 11 seniors. I LOVE it- I have amazing people on my route, and I love seeing them and learning from them every week.

Last week I was delivering, and stopped at the home of a favorite of ours (Annie goes with me). This cute little lady has been through a lot, health-wise, but always has wonderful, kind words for us, and treats for Annie. When she came to the door, she handed me a Christmas card, told us how much she appreciated the delivery, and wished us a Merry Christmas. As I walked back out to the car, I handed Annie the card- she opened it and said, "Mom, there's a dollar in here!" When I looked in the card, I saw that she had included a $20 bill. Sigh.... I went back up to the door. "Doris (names have been changed to protect the very cute), I love you, but I can't take money from you- that's one of the rules for volunteers." She was not happy. "You have to let me do something to feel like I have worth. I want to do this!" I totally understood, but explained that the rule was in place to prevent problems with volunteers taking advantage of seniors. She finally agreed, but made me wait while she went to her pantry for a bag of Fritos and a box of granola bars for Annie. I probably shouldn't take those, either, but I happen to agree with her- she needs to feel needed and loved. I took the treats, got back in the car, and pulled out of her driveway.
Just as I started past her house, I saw Doris at the door, waving frantically. "You forgot the card! It doesn't have any money in it!" That last part was very clear- I'm not making it up. I stopped, ran up, took the card, said my thank you's again, and ran back to the car, which was idling in the middle of the street.
She totally tricked me. There WAS SO money in the card- she just tricked me into taking it. I wasn't about to go through all of that again, so I'll donate the $20 to Meals on Wheels. She did make me laugh, though.
Never underestimate the elderly!

No comments: