Monday, October 13, 2008

Living with Mom and Dad

When someone finds out that we're living in my parent's house, they usually say, "Oh, are they on a mission?" We reply that no, we are actually living WITH them. In the same house. All ten of us together, one big happy family. Most people can't seem to really wrap their brain around that one. Mostly, I think they have sympathy for my Mom and Dad, and they probably have a point. There are some things about living together that aren't always easy, but there are also lots of really good things about our situation. So I've decided to compile a list:

The Advantages of Living With My Parents

1- Grandma teaches 5 of my kids piano lessons. She is really good. And knowing that she teaches them a weekly lesson, I am actually motivated to help them practice. They have made lots of progress since we got here- and they got to play in a hymn recital last night. As far as I'm concerned, piano lessons is a HUGE plus to living here.

2- I very rarely cook and do the dishes in the same night. On most weeknights, I cook dinner, since Mom is teaching piano. Dad usually does the dishes. Sweet.

3- I have someone (aka an adult) to talk to during the day when the older kids are at school and Tim is gone. It is nice to talk in person with my Mom- not just occasionally over the phone.

4- My children are really getting to know their grandparents. I think this may be a problem when we eventually move out... ("Aren't Grandma and Grandpa coming with us?") The other day at school, Emma had to draw a picture of "My Family". I was thrilled that her drawing contained 10 people- Grandma and Grandpa are definitely part of our family.

5- Annalise not only asks when Daddy is coming home, but also when Grandpa is coming home.

6- Although I try to keep things clean and to keep all of our junk out of the way, I fall short a lot. I am grateful for my mother's patience with our mess, and I love having another mom in the house to share the workload. That's the one thing that's always been slightly attractive to me about polygamy.... Just Kidding!

7- It really is an advantage to have 4 adults in the house to counterbalance the 6 kids. I feel like my kids are picking up traits and learning values that I'm not always great at teaching them. Plus, I'm a tiny bit more patient with my kids when I know my parents can hear me yelling!

8- My parents live in a great place. We love the ward, the neighborhood, the view of the mountains, the schools... it will be hard to leave when our time here is done.

We didn't originally plan to be living here with my parents... in fact, when it was first brought up, I thought it was a terrible idea, mostly for their sake. Things just worked out this way, and now that we're here, I'm glad they did. Tim and I are so grateful for their willingness to take us on- we aren't easy, I know. They are really making Tim's education possible. Thanks, Mom and Dad! Maybe someday we can return the favor! :)

2 comments:

Liz said...

Jenni - what an answer to my prayers. We live with my in-laws right now. I totally love them, but it has been a struggle and I appreciate your positive list. This helps me look on the bright side of things.
Liz

Debie Spurgeon said...

I totally understand not yelling in front of your parents, that's too funny!! My parents THINK I have a lot of patience. HA!!