Tim and I have been exercising faithfully for more than a year now, and I decided it was time to get the kids in on the action. I figure if they make it a habit now, it'll be easier to continue as they get older. That's the idea, anyway. I decided that I would take the kids to the rec center after school three times a week, and have them walk and run. The idea is to do one lap for every year you are old (6 1/2 laps= 1 mile). So Annie does less than a mile, and Rebekah does 2 miles. That seems to be about the right distance. They did great the first time, and then started complaining... so I had to come up with some motivation.
I let the kids choose a reward. The first time, they chose ice cream cones at Macey's. I told them we needed 100 laps (all together, not individually). When we got to 100, they got ice cream. Next, they chose a scoop of bulk candy each (again from Macey's- they had the idea walking past the bulk bins on the way out with ice cream cones). That one cost 300 laps.
Now we're working on a trip to the swimming pool- 400 laps.
They're doing great, and don't like to miss, because it prolongs the time before the next reward. My favorite part is seeing their abilities increase- they can run way more now than when they started.
Emma- all worn out.
The other thing I have learned in this adventure is that I have to go and walk/run WITH them- I can't go and try to do my own workout. I just get frustrated, and end up with kids calling into the weight room needing me. Now, I go in the morning, and take the kids in the afternoon. That does mean that I go to the rec center 9 times a week. Kind of insane, but it's working for me for now. When the weather gets nicer, it won't be so often.


1 comment:
This is just awesome. I've often wished the gym here would allow kids to use the equipment. I did get the kids to the track a couple of days during spring break, when the weather was nice.
You make it look so fun!
We still miss you. When are you coming back? The McCools are leaving this summer, so we need a piano teacher again...
sarah
Post a Comment