Thursday, June 12, 2008

Slow Boat to California

We have a checklist of about a hundred things that the base thinks we need to have done before Tim checks out of school tomorrow. It includes things such as checking the kids out of school, changing our address with the post office, paying off our kid's lunch accounts, making sure our medical bills are paid off, and getting all of our library books turned in. Each thing has a place to be signed by the relevant person in authority. Tim and I have spent the last few days walking all over base, getting things signed off. We went into the library on Saturday, and asked the librarian to give us a list of books we still had out. I knew of 2 or 3, but the list she handed me had 13 books on it! I knew we didn't have all those books at home, so I sent the kids into the library on a mission: find the books they said we had out. It took about 3 minutes: they found 10 books on the shelves that they said we had. Apparently someone's falling down on the "checking books back into the library" part of the job.

After we got that all cleared, our account was good to go- no books checked out. To keep us entertained in the TLF, however, we let each of the kids get two books, and we got a few movies, too. Today, in anticipation of Tim's checkout tomorrow, I gathered all the books and videos and trekked down to the library again. We were missing one book. I remembered checking it out, but couldn't remember ever reading it to the kids. Hmm.... After an extensive search of our rooms, I have come to the conclusion that this book got pushed under a car seat on our way home on Saturday, and is still in our car, which we delivered to the port on Tuesday to be shipped to California.

Everything's taken care of now: the librarian just had me go to the "Shoppette", where they have a small bookstore, and buy a book of similar value to donate to the library. So the library has a new book, and I guess when we finally get our car we will have a new book, too.

In less stressful news, the kids are done with school! Going two weeks into June really made this school year seem long. We were all excited to go to the swimming pool this afternoon: this was the first day it was open. However, a big, cold, windy storm blew in yesterday. The pool suddenly lost all appeal. Hopefully it will get warm again before we leave. We did have an "end of school party" tonight: pizza, and Price's original concoction: ice cream, Nilla wafer crumbs, chocolate pudding, cool whip, crushed Oreos, and gummi bears. It is really yummy, but not very nutritious.

No comments: